Let our horses help you explore the Superior National Forest from a unique view. The Gunflint Riding Stables at Gunflint Lodge, located 43 miles up the Gunflint Trail, is unique on the North Shore. Our experienced Wranglers will guide you through the vast miles of trails on steady steeds. Traveling on horseback lets you enjoy the endless beauty while relaxing and basking in the sun on your faithful mount.
A hat, long pants, and closed toed shoes are ideal for comfortable riding.
The riding season generally runs from May to October. We have a wide variety of horses that range from Quarter Horses to Arabians and everything in between. Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced rider, we have the horse for you. Our talented wranglers are great at teaming you up with a horse that fits your needs. The many hours spent on the trails together creates a deep bond between wrangler and horse. We invite you to join us for a ride and bond with a horse of your own as you enjoy the marvels that await you around each corner of our beautiful trails.
Friendly Jaunt 3-4 mi (moderate)- $84.00 Day Guests | $74.00 for overnight Gunflint Lodge guests
Gunflint Stable Rules
In order to ensure proper safety, we have the following requirements:
- Weight limit 240 lbs with clothing (you will be weighed before the ride to ensure you are matched with the right horse)
- Age minimum for riding 7 yrs
- Guardian needed for those under 13
- 1 adult for every 4 children
- Helmets are available for all ages, and required for ages 7 – 15
- Carry on objects that may possibly frighten a horse, (i.e. camera, water bottle) are not permitted on rides
- Unfortunately we are unable to provide pony rides or riding double.
- Closed toed shoes are required. A hat and long pants are ideal for comfortable riding.
“Staff are SO friendly, horses are beautiful. Great experience” 10/7/20
“The ride is absolutely breathtaking in Fall. Horses walk at a very easy-going pace with a few ups and downs but mostly level wide trail. All levels can truly enjoy this ride. Our wrangler, was a pure joy to guide us. She is very experienced with horses and you feel safe on the ride with her. The most important aspect, for me, is how does the horse look. Do they look cared for and healthy? And the answer to both is an emphatic yes!!! Our horses, Cedar and Kermit and the wrangler’s horse, Thor, all had great temperaments. I’d come back any day to ride again. Thanks for a wonderful experience.” 9/16/20