Thank you for your interest in joining our team. Between the two businesses, Gunflint Lodge and Gunflint Northwoods Outfitters, we have approximately 45 summer positions and 28 winter positions available. Employees range in age from 18 to somewhere around 70 and come from all over the world. Take a moment to read the following information which will give you an idea of what Gunflint is like and our expectations of prospective employees.
Gunflint is located 43 miles up the Gunflint Trail from Grand Marais, Minnesota. (43 miles from the nearest town!) We are surrounded by over 1 million acres of wilderness in the Superior National Forest. Guests come from all over the world to relax, fish, swim, canoe, and explore in the Northwoods atmosphere. The summer season runs from late April until early November with the winter season running from late November until early April. During the fall and spring off-season we work on cleaning and renovation projects.
Over the years our guests have come to expect a friendly and helpful staff. They come to have a relaxed vacation and we're dependent upon our team to see that they have the best time possible. Often this means a little extra work, or time, to help a guest but we feel it's worth it and you should too! In order to maintain the level of our guest's expectations we've established certain standards that we expect you to abide by. All employees must appear neat and well groomed. We provide uniform shirts for everyone and expect you to have pants (without holes) appropriate to the position you are hired for. A more detailed description of uniform and grooming requirements will be provided when you are hired.
Perhaps the two most important qualities we look for in our team are a cheerful attitude and the willingness to go the extra mile. Resort and outfitting work means long, hard, and sometimes irregular hours. It is certainly not a paid vacation. The schedules are set for 32 hours per week. Although you may be hired for a specific position, there are times when you may be called upon to fulfill other job duties. In a resort atmosphere we all pitch in wherever necessary to get the job done. With that in mind, we are looking for applicants who are extremely flexible and like a variety of work.
Salaries vary depending on the position being filled, and the previous experience a new employee has. Recreational equipment is available for use at a minimal charge. However, all of our facilities and equipment are for guests' use first.
Dormitory style accommodations are available, if desired, here on the grounds at the cost of $130.00 per person per month and includes your utilities. This is for a shared room with 1-3 other people. Showers are down the hall. You are responsible for your own meals cleaning supplies, toilet paper, and kleenex. There are shared cooking facilities for staff use. The use of drugs, and the abuse or underage use of liquor are not tolerated. There is a public laundromat at the campground next door. We do not receive any TV or radio reception. You may bring your own TV/VCR or CD player if you would like.
We hope that you'll join our team in the Northwoods for a summer...or two. Please complete the online
application form or print a copy (pdf) and mail or fax to:
143 South Gunflint Lake
Grand Marais MN 55604
FILLED -In this position you will be part of a dining room team where the guest is your top priority. You will be a key component in assuring that we deliver the best possible experience for the guest since you will be face to face with them on a daily basis. All of their questions and concerns will be directed to you and we want to be able to trust you to represent our lodge in these situations. You will be responsible for working lunches and dinners behind the bar, as well as preparation of drink orders for Justine’s fine dining restaurant and the eight seat counter bar. Depending on staffing levels you could be required to wait on tables in addition to being the bartender in our casual dining restaurant, the Red Paddle Bistro. Duties may include all components to serving as well as any other duties that may be asked of you such as cleaning the bar, restocking, and letting servers go home during slow time periods. While working you will also be expected to know a lot about the lodge since guests are often curious about the history of this 80+ year old lodge and our fascinating location. The bartender must have experience as cashier and with handling cash, knowledge of wine and fine liquors a must. This position has the capacity to earn tips and may require overtime.
Organized, logical, outgoing and level-headed person with exceptional communication skills and beaming disposition desired. The ability to multi-task is a necessity. Must have basic typing skills and be computer literate. Bartending experience is required, certification (proof) a plus. Server experience is recommended.
-Early morning shift requires self-motivated person to prepare short order style breakfast and lunch for up to 75 people from a set menu. Create unique daily specials for breakfast and lunch. Must enjoy working in a team atmosphere, willing to share ideas and take direction from Chef. Create unique daily specials for breakfast and lunch. This position also assists in the following areas: prep for Bistro and fine dining menus, rotation and restocking of coolers, freezer, dry storage on delivery days, occasional dishwashing. Previous cooking experience required.
Varied shifts as part of the kitchen team responsible for preparation/presentation of soups, salads, sandwiches, desserts; position includes dishwashing, general kitchen cleaning, and assists in the following areas: prep for Bistro and fine dining menus, rotation and restocking of coolers, freezer, dry storage on delivery days, occasional dishwashing. Previous experience desired, but will train the right person. Must be self-motivated, organized and able to work unsupervised.
- We are seeking a creative, talented and reliable person to join our Line Cook team. You would be joining our existing staff with primary responsibilities including working as a member of a team to prep salads, pantry items, plate desserts using Gunflint kitchen-tested recipes, and assist the Chef with the cooking and plating of items from our fine dining and Bistro menus. Experience with fine dining and short order menu items (breakfast, lunch and dinner) would be very helpful, although we provide daily hands-on experience. Must be skilled and knowledgeable with char-broiler, fryer, griddle, and convection oven equipment. Other duties include cleaning and sanitizing of work areas, ability to take direction from team members or work unsupervised if necessary.
- Shifts vary from early am, afternoon and evening. This position requires extensive guest interaction so an outgoing personality a must. This position is responsible for daily upkeep, fueling, and general cleanliness of marina equipment and area including fish filleting and bait/fuel sales. Additional duties include: wood/kindling delivery to cabins, daily trash pick-up, conversing with guests about the lake, fishing, where to purchase bait and tackle, how to operate the motors. Previous boat handling experience and basic outboard motor maintenance knowledge desired. Must have a valid DL with clean driving record and be able to pass a 75 lbs lift test. Summer only position
Day shifts working as part of a three person grounds team. You must be willing to take direction from Gardener in all aspects of grounds, planting, maintenance and landscaping. Responsible for gardening, watering, bush/hedge trimming, weed abatement. Must have valid DL with clean driving record and be able to pass a 75 lbs lift test. Knowledge of Bobcat and Back-hoe operation a plus but not a requirement. This position is 100% outdoor work so you must enjoy sun, rain, bugs, and sometimes snow! Summer only position
- Varied shifts working as a team of three people and have ability to multi-task when necessary. Position 2 will have extensive knowledge of general electric, plumbing, construction repair work. Knowledge of small engine repair strongly recommended. Position 3 will have general knowledge of same areas but will be doing most maintenance repairs as needed on a daily basis. Knowledge of small engine repair is a plus but not a requirement. All maintenance positions responsible for the over-all mechanical repair of the entire 103 acre property with over 50 structures. Must have valid DL with clean driving record and be able to pass a 75 lbs lift test. Knowledge of Backhoe and Bobcat operation and maintenance a plus.
- In this position you will be part of a 2-4 person guest service team where the guest is your top priority. You will be a key component in assuring that we deliver the best possible experience for the guest since you will be face to face with them on a daily basis. All of their questions and concerns will be directed to you and we want to be able to trust you to represent our lodge in these situations. Job duties include guest orientation of our property, review of guest package, reservation processing, data entry, telephone communications, answering guest questions, and any other duties that may be asked of team members. Varied shifts working as part of a five person team. Organized, logical, and level-headed person with exceptional communication skills and beaming disposition desired. Must have basic typing skills and be computer literate.
- Varied shifts in charge of the housekeeping team. Responsible for daily operation of housekeeping team including organizing daily workload, supervising cleaning crews, assist cleaning crews with cleaning cabin/main lodge, and conducting cabin checks. Must have ability to take direction from supervisor, motivate/train others, and lead by example. Looking for a cheerful person with extreme attention to detail. Previous housekeeping and supervisory experience a must!
- Varied daytime shifts as part of a six person housekeeping team. Responsibilities include cleaning 23 rental cabins, main lodge guest areas and bathrooms, reporting maintenance issues immediately and able to communication with guests. Must be detail oriented, willing to take direction/work well on own and be a team player. Previous housekeeping experience a plus but willing to train.
– Responsible for all aspects of waiting tables in our Red Paddle restaurant. Must be a team player! Flexible and willing to work split shifts; work in other areas of resort; attention to detail. This position is paid minimum wages plus tips. The tips are significant. We do not guarantee 40 hours per week, but it will be close most of the time.
- Varied shifts as part of a six person outfitting team. Daily contact with families, youth groups, Lodge guests requiring a pleasant attitude, and willingness to listen and answer questions about the area. Responsibilities include packing of food/equipment, hauling canoes, equipment, people to various landings in the area, cleaning returned equipment, group meal service, cleaning bunkhouse and bathrooms. Must be self-motivated team player with valid DL/good driving record and be able to pass a 75 lbs lift test. Previous experience canoeing the BWCA, portaging skills, cooking, and Leave No Trace camping ethics strongly recommended. Applicants must be 21 years of age or older to meet our insurance requirements for driving vans with passengers. Summer only position.
Become a canopy tour guide and run Zip-line Canopy tours for groups of people through our brand new Canopy Tour in the boreal forest of northern Minnesota! We are currently looking for energetic, enthusiastic individuals to join our Canopy Tour guide team. We are creating a team that is motivated to provide our guest with a unique, world-class adventure experience while engaging the guest with an introduction to the history of the Laurentian Highlands and unique geological formations of our landscape. Share an awe-inspiring adrenaline rush as we soar through a forest of majestic pine, birch and cedar trees often at heights 100-feet above the canopy floor with our longest zip around 800 feet long. Our canopy tour consists of 8 zips, platform bridges, and a spiral-staircase.
Minimum Qualifications :
•Energetic, enthusiastic, self-motivated, strong communication skills
•Contribute to a positive, supportive team atmosphere & model a “can-do” attitude
•Responsible, reliable, punctual & committed to job
•Excited about engaging people & sharing the wonder of the boreal forest eco-system, local
history and culture
•Family friendly, pleasant & courteous in all interactions with our guests
•Flexibility in scheduling
•Comfortable and able to work at heights in excess of 75 feet above ground level
•Must successfully complete guide training course demonstrating skill proficiency during practical testing to meet industry criteria
•Able to make risk management decisions
•Must complete or have a current First Aid and CPR Certificate (classes may be available for those without current certifications).
•Arrive ready to work as scheduled for guide responsibilities as requested by Supervisor
•Communicate well with co-workers and Supervisor. Is expected to behave in a professional manner at all times
•Meet & greet Canopy Tour guests
•Maintain a good sense of humor and cooperative attitude in dealing with all guests
•Treat guests in a manner that makes them feel respected, valued and cared for
•Assist participants with gearing-up, safety orientation & ground school
•Guide participants safely through every element of our Canopy Tour
•Point out items of interest including ecology, geology, local animal inhabitants, types of trees, and local history
•Manage risky behavior and maintain control of the tour group at all times
•Responsible for personal safety and safety of others
•Some maintenance tasks related to Guide Shed, trail and forest cleanup
•Daily safety checks — course and equipment
•Daily tour evaluation reports as a team with Supervisor
- Varied shifts working as team of two people. Responsible for leading a variety of activities including nature hikes, pontoon boat rides, crafts, dusk or dawn canoe paddles, children’s activities. Extensive knowledge of Minnesota wildlife and ecology a plus, however there is extensive on-the-job training and resources at the resort for gaining the knowledge. You must have a love of nature and be willing to be outside in any climate. The creativity ability to convey what our natural surroundings offer for recreation as well as rekindling the child within will be useful in this position. An outgoing personality and ability to work with people of all ages is a must. Naturalist 3 position will lead 90% of Youth Activity schedule. Encouraged to develop new ideas for programs or events. Other responsibilities include: trail maintenance, filling bird feeders and guest self-serve seed bins, maintain a high standard of excellence for the wilderness adventure program. Must have valid drivers license, clean driving record, and submit to a background check. Must learn and follow rules of the BWCA and Superior National Forest, required to implement in any activity in the BWCA or SNF.
Proficiency in paddling and portaging canoes, operating both pontoon and motor boats, fishing (bait casting, trolling, spinning), operating passenger vans and dump truck a must. Will be required to obtain the Remote Area Border Crossing Permit (RABC), purchase appropriate fishing licenses, provide quality outdoor clothing for this position, be Adult and Child CPR certified (1 st responder or wilderness 1 st responder or EMT acceptable).
Positions are available for year round employment unless specifically noted as summer only. We encourage employees to stay for at least a year so they can experience all Gunflint has to offer for working and living in a four season environment.
We have a new staff building with shared 2 and 3 person efficiency apartments, most with a private kitchen and bathroom. We also have an older staff building with shared apartments and a central bathroom.
$195.00 per month minimum in our new staff building (sharing the efficiency apartment), $130.00 per month in our older staff quarters, $75 security deposit (returned per checkout)
Other Housing may be available at rent of $195.00-$425.00 per month. Generally this is for year round employees and has a $150 security deposit
Walk to work! Minimal wear and tear on your vehicle
• Use of canoes and kayaks on the waterfront
• $10 use of boat/motor
• $10 use of camping equipment (not food)
• 25% off either gift shop
• 25% off restaurant meals (not alcohol)
• Participation in our nature activity program is always free
• One free horseback ride, additional rides at reduced rate
• Staff lounge area with phone for use with calling cards
• Tv/vcr/dvd for staff in staff lounge area
• Pool table (not the greatest)
• Excellent opportunity to meet new friends from all over U.S. and other countries
• Excellent opportunity to explore the Boundary Waters Canoe Area of northern Minnesota
Your parents and siblings can stay in a cabin and receive 25% off rack rates.